Even if you are not interested in the latest and greatest technology regarding other appliances and features in your home, a geofencing thermostat can be an excellent investment to help you decrease your heating and cooling expenses. Whether you are motivated by saving money or the planet, many consumers find geofencing smart thermostats worthwhile. If you are looking to buy a new thermostat, a smart thermostat with geofencing can simplify controlling the climate of your home. The sophisticated technology takes all the guesswork out of optimizing your HVAC system. However, like any product, they have their limitations. After reading this blog, you will be able to get a better idea of whether or not geofencing makes sense for you and your home.
What is GeoFencing Technology?
A geofencing smart thermostat maps out a virtual boundary around your property using GPS coordinates. When you link the residents of your home’s smartphones to the thermostat, they can communicate with one another to see if anyone is home by monitoring the boundary or “geofence.” Your thermostat will begin tracking your family’s habits to know when you are expected to be home. This feature works in tandem with what you program as your desired temperatures throughout the day. The geofencing smart thermostat will take its own data and combine it with your preferences to run more efficiently. Traditional thermostats require adjustments on the dial or settings that may cause large jumps in temperature. The smoother the transitions are from temperature to temperature, the less energy your system will use. Because your geofencing thermostat is constantly adjusting in small increments to provide the correct temperature based on whether or not the space is occupied, your system will function at peak efficiency. Keep in mind that your preferences also play a prominent role in how your geofencing thermostat functions. If you like a cooler temperature when you sleep, you can indicate this in your settings, so you don’t have to worry about making adjustments at any point during the day. Additionally, should you choose to override your thermostat’s settings, this can easily be done from your smartphone.
Benefits of a Thermostat with Geofencing Technology:
- Convenience: A geofencing thermostat removes the need to adjust the temperature in your home manually.
- Energy Savings: This technology reduces energy consumption and lowers monthly energy costs.
- Security: Protects your home from damage during extended absences by adjusting the temperature accordingly. The wrong temperature during a snowstorm could lead to burst pipes, and a setting that’s too hot in the summer can cause an increase in humidity and mold.
Why shouldn’t I buy a Geofencing Smart Thermostat?
- If you don’t have a smartphone, you won’t be able to take advantage of geofencing technology. Also, when choosing a smart thermostat of any kind, it’s essential to check to see if your smartphone is compatible with the thermostat.
- Smart thermostats with geofencing technology have a higher price tag than traditional thermostats. They can, however, save you money in the long term by reducing your energy bills.
If your question isn’t answered here, contact the Pierce Refrigeration team and one of our experts will guide you in finding your solution.
Need 24-7 emergency service? Looking for advice on improving your everyday air quality and comfort at home and at work? Contact the friendly staff at Pierce Refrigeration at 800-696-1088.